Monday, May 10, 2010
















Second day in Dublin and things are looking up. A little bit of sleep goes a long way! I slept soundly last night which was exactly what I needed. This morning was a beautiful morning and the weather was nice. I started my day with a nice run through Dublin, a tasty banana, brown bread with jam, and a lovely cup of tea. It was great start to the day.
On a quick rant before starting with my daily activities for everyone to enjoy reading I would like to comment that my roommates and I have not had hot water to shower in! (hahahaha.) So picture this four girls using the same shower is hard enough now picture four girls having no hot water and need to take two minute showers in the limited warm water we have. This situation is getting a little out of control I won’t lie I have been calculating how long I could go without showering. We are all trying hard to be positive but as you will probably see, hear, or SMELL things are getting a little funky (if you know what I mean.) So stick around to see if we have any updates on our situation.
After breakfast we took the bus to Dublin City University. We heard a lecture from Rodrick Flynn who explained Irish media to us. It was a great lecture filled with information regarding mainly print newspapers and a little broadcasting thrown in. We learned the difference between the Irish Times and The Independent and how they are basically geared to two different crowds. Also the major sensory issues they have over movies and ads.
We got free time after the lecture which I think is always nice because then we get to really experience the city on our own. My roommates Chelsea, Abby, Kristen and I all got lunch at a place called O’Brien’s. We had lovely soup and sandwiches that filled us right up! Throughout the day it has gotten colder and a little rainy but we still got to go on the bus tour of the city. It was really nice to see all the highlight places of Dublin on the trip.
After the bus tour we got to walk around the city, a couple of us headed to Temple Bar area. It was really cool; it was filled with bars and colorful stores. I had a fantastic crepe for dinner.
We also got to be part of the live audience for RTE’s The Frontline. It was really intense and full of information about the country’s growing problems and different solutions that four journalists came up with. One journalist suggested that they redo the Irish form of the constitution. I found this really intriguing especially the part where in Ireland they have a law of good name, which is basically a ban against people ruining someone’s reputation. But with this things can get fuzz in the media this issue runs right up against libel. This is a big issue for the Irish people. That obviously needs to be fixed.
That’s all for today I’m beat and we have an early morning!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog. Many others have also mentioned the hot water, or lack of.

    ReplyDelete