Thursday, May 13, 2010
















Hey everyone, Sorry for the late post yesterday was a packed day that didn’t end for me until 2AM. So I will start from the beginning. On Wednesday morning I got up and got ready pretty quickly because we had an early start for breakfast. We got to have breakfast with Rosita Boland from the Irish Times. This has been by far the best thing we have done so far. She is a feature writer who puts a lot of detail in to her story and she emotional connects with each person she writes about. We had a question and answers session with her where she explained that the key to journalism is having curiosity.
After an amazing morning with Rosita, we got to meet Dan Rooney the ambassador for the United States. This was another amazing experience because not many people get to say they meet Ambassador Rooney, let alone in Ireland. He was a kind, sweet man who took a picture with us and gave us Irish American flag pins that I know everyone will cherish forever. We only got a few minutes with him though. The biggest thing at the embassy was the tight security though. We were only allowed to bring in one camera which made my life crazy as a photojournalist. It was cool to be on American turf for a little.
We had another lecture at Dublin City University later that afternoon, but first we had some free time to explore the university. The university was huge! The thing that really got me though was their athletic department and how amazing it was. All their facilities were huge I think the athletic department there was about the size of the entire Point Park University. I was just in awe about the whole athletic department. After an amazing tour of their Athletic Department we had a lecture with Helena Sheehan about Irish TV, mainly soap operas. I didn’t realize how much soap’s depict Irish life. I wish I had a job where I could watch soaps all day too!
We came back had a quick meeting to recap the day. I tried to nap for a little but I was just excited for the free time we had that night. We went to a really nice Irish Italian Restaurant where I enjoyed chips and Irish style lasagna. (There is no picture for this meal because I forgot to bring my camera, but just picture French fries, lasagna filled with sausage, and good Varity of vegetables.) We had a great waiter named Casper who opened that restaurant about a year ago.
After that we basically did our own bar crawl all over the city. I won’t be able to go into much detail about that for obvious reasons. That’s all I have for now we have a pretty easy day filled with lectures and photo opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment